Wednesday, May 27

99


Yesterday was my mother-in-law's 99th birthday. I should live so long or so well. She is still bright and vital, although she doesn't see that well any more. Coming home from the nursing home last night, the Boss Rabbit and I discussed the odds and ramifications of our living to see 99. It's doubtful for most of us, after all, even with advances in medicine and living a healthier lifestyle. My dad, had he lived, would be 99 this year, too. He died 35 years ago, at the age of 64, after a dozen years of heart problems and a lifetime of hard work.

For me to reach 99, I will have to somehow survive another forty years. This seems really unlikely. The answer, I suppose, is to follow the advice written above the sundial on the west wall of St. Cuthbert's in Edinburgh.
Written in the voice of time itself, "Live well, for I fly."

Thus spake the rabbit.

4 comments:

Spyder said...

My great grand father died at 99, 2 of his daughters lived ti be 99 also. Tell her I said Happy Birthday,

Applecart T. said...

every day i make sure that 99 is not going to be seen by me. 2073 does not seem like it will be a very good year.

Alastair Cunningham said...

i have already pinched your 'Intelligent Design' quote and pinned it up prominently in the loo.
I am going to copy your Vivite Fugio' picture too - if I may.

Le Grand Lapin said...

Alastair, Doug Adams would be proud to have that quote tacked up near a Nairn W.C.

If you like, I'll send you a proper print of the sundial. As more of my images find good homes in Scotland, I'll have more reasons to visit. I'll eventually reach a threshold at which it makes no more sense to come back to the U.S. - Cheers, Bud