Saturday, May 30

Harlan Ellison on Working For Free

Anytime Ellison mentions "writer", substitute the creative occupation of your choosing. Now tell me exactly why creatives are expected to work for nothing. Go ahead and think of a really good reason, I'll wait.

If you came up with:
"We're a non-profit."
"We don't have the budget."
"I know I can get someone to do it for less."
"If you do this one for free, we'll pay you next time."
"We already have a quote for a lot less."
"This really shouldn't take all that long. You could knock this out in no time."
....Insert your favorite lame reason here...
Please, don't let the door hit your sorry ass on the way out.

Hat tip to Brud @
Digital Labrador.

Thus spake the rabbit.

4 comments:

Hyperblogal said...

My bank asked me to donate my photographic services for an event they put on. I said sure just as soon as you eliminate the interest you're charging on my car loan. Suggest viewing the following:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2a8TRSgzZY

Le Grand Lapin said...

Hyperblogal,

That's the video that started this post. The woman in the salon reminds me of a client a few years back who refused my estimate because I wouldn't supply them with receipts on my film, processing and other costs before markup. "We'll cover your 'hard costs' ". See ya!

Applecart T. said...

I agree, but I have nothing else to do for $ beyond the purely illegal and immoral.

Hyperblogal said...

Illegal and immoral are relative in a down economy.